Frequently Asked Questions
Are you open all the year?
- We are open all year.
- In the main holiday periods we only take weekly bookings (Saturday to Saturday), unless they are last minute bookings.
- In the off-peak times you can also book short-breaks.
- The cottages are ideal for winter breaks with their gas fired central heating, double glazing and coal effect gas fires (heating included in rent).
- The swimming pool is also open all year (from 9am to 9pm). The water temperature is 28 to 29 degrees C and the air temperature about 30 degrees C.
What are your normal arrival & departure times?
- The normal arrival time is 3pm - not before please as we often need time to prepare the cottage for you. We will be on site to welcome you and show you into your cottage.
- The normal departure time is 10am but for weekend bookings that include the Sunday the departure time is 5pm so you can have a full weekend in the cottage
What is included in each Cottage ?
- Linen & towels.
- All heating & electricity is included in the rent.
- Flat screen TV, Freeview, DVD player.
- Wi-fi (free of charge)
- Gas central heating.
- Double glazing.
- Gas "coal effect" fire in sitting rooms.
- Microwave oven.
- Flowers & homemade cake on arrival
- Your cottage will have an initial starter pack of things like salt & pepper, toilet rolls, a kitchen roll, washing up liquid, tea towel and dish cloth so it is operational when you arrive. (However as it is self-catering and we do not service the cottage during the week like a hotel room, so you will need to plan on providing your own consumables during your stay).
All cottages, except Dove Tree & Fat Hen, also have:
The Farmhouse, Shepherds Lodge & Columbine also have:
- Automatic washing machines
What are the additional shared facilities ?
All visitors have the use of the heated indoor swimming pool and whirlpool spa. Coin operated sauna. Laundry with coin operated washing machine, tumble driers. Ironing facilities. A 24 hour laundry service is available on request. Wi-fi is available free of charge. Mobile reception varies according to the provider but we have installed a mobile phone signal booster so we have excellent reception for O2 & Vodaphone
- Walled Garden with fish pond and barbecue.
- Ample parking.
- Access to wi-fi
- Gas barbecue
Are Children welcome?
Children are very welcome at Beech Farm Cottages. In addition to using the large indoor swimming pool they can also play safely in the paddock where we have a new enlarged play & climbing area, a childs swing and a football goal. They will also enjoy seeing our two Llamas "Mimi" & "Lucy", the chickens, doves, koi carp etc. We also have available childrens's videos, Lego etc. For babies and very young children, cots & high chairs can be provided but guests are asked to bring their own cot linen. Babysitting can be arranged.
Do you take Pets?
Sorry, no. We regret pets are not allowed. We like animals but in order to keep the cottages spotlessly clean and avoid the danger of dogs annoying other visitors and frightening children we have to say "no" to animals. Also many people have asthma & allergies and therefore particularly appreciate cottages that have not had animals in them. We do however have some animals on site including the two Llamas, chickens, ducks, two farm cats and Koi Carp. Rooney has a black Labrador, Monty, and Pat has a Bijon Frise, Maisie.
We have three ground floor single storey cottages, Fat Hen (sleeps 2), Dove Tree (sleeps 3) and Tanglewood (sleeps 4). Tanglewood & Dove Tree cottages are suitable for the less able at Level 1. In addition Columbine (sleeps 6) has a ground floor double, ensuite, bedroom. For an Access Statement for the cottages please click on the Button below.
Where can I go shopping?
Although there are no shops in the village there are plenty of shops close by. Pickering, 5 minutes in the car, has Co-op & Lidl supermarkets plus butchers, bakers, greengrocers and specialist food shops. On the way into Pickering you pass a good Londis shop at a Total garage. Safeways, Tesco and Aldi all deliver online orders to our cottages - use the "Beech Farm" address on the Tesco site not Beech Farm Cottages. We can arrange for newspapers & milk to be delivered to the cottages and a good mobile greengrocer calls every Wednesday..
Is there a pub in the village?
There is a good pub in the village, the Buck Inn, that is within easy walking distance. It is a friendly "free house" that also serves pub food. It is worth booking for meals at busy times (Telephone 01751 477 144). Note: The Buck Inn is currently closed and the new owner hopes to open by Easter 2016. In the meantime we recommend the Fox & Hounds at Sinnington 2 miles away http://www.thefoxandhoundsinn.co.uk/
Cycling & Cycle Hire?
We welcome cyclists here - we have even had World Cup cycle teams stay here, including an Olympic Gold medalist and the then current World Mountain Bike Champion. We have safe undercover storage for bikes but not locked indoor storage. There are excellent dedicated cycle tracks, forest tracks and mountain bike trails on the moors to choose from.
If you do not bring your own bikes there are good cycle hire centres that offer a large selection of bikes and have access to special cycle tracks e.g. Dalby forest http://www.dalbybikebarn.co.uk or Trailways near Whitby http://www.trailways.info which has access to a track on a disused railway line along the coast. There is also a specialist shop in Pickering that hires bikes, Big Bear Bikes http://www.bigbearbikes.co.uk
This year, 2015, we have one of Europe's major road racing events in the area, Le Tour Yorkshire. It goes right past Beech Farm Cottages on 1st May.